A German study found that volunteers who drank 500 ml of water saw their metabolic rate rise by about 33 percent in ten minutes and stay that high for another 30 or 40 minutes. Researchers estimated that an extra 1.5 liters of water a day could burn an amazing 17,400 extra calories a year — or about five pounds’ worth.
One thing that happens as you get older and push past 50 is you lose muscle tone. Protein builds muscle and helps you regain some of what you’re losing. Protein-heavy food is also harder to digest and causes your body to burn more calories as it does. High-protein foods are filling, as well, so eating a high-protein diet can help you feel less hungry.
All yogurt is a metabolism booster, but Greek yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt, making it even more effective at getting your body going.
Adding spice not only gives food some great flavor, but they are also known metabolism boosters, so be generous when cooking with spice!
Interval training can confuse your body, so it keeps burning calories even when you’re not working out.
Our society is geared for eating a few big meals during the day, which is counterproductive if you want to lose weight. If you eat a big meal and then wait a long time for another one, it will signal your body to slow down and take its time digesting that meal so it will last.
But if you eat small, frequent meals, your body will get used to the idea of burning what you have because there’s another meal right around the corner.
Caffeine is another metabolism booster for people over and under 50. Enjoy it in moderation and without loading it up with sugar for another great diet aid.
Cardio gets your heart rate up and weightlifting builds muscle. They make a great combination for metabolism boosting for all ages.
For more tips on healthy and natural weight loss for health-conscious people of any age or to get started on a great weight loss program, visit the Excellence In Fitness blog or contact EIF now to schedule a free consultation.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form
- Should I Implement a Workplace Wellness Program for My Employees?
- How to Increase Productivity Through Exercise
- Sugar's Unseen Effects on Your Body
- Finding the Right Personal Trainer
- Proper Fitness Nutrition
- Tips for Fitness While Traveling
- Injury Prevention Through Training
- Hydration - Water vs. Sports Drink
- Cardio Through Strength Training: The Metabolic Workout
- 10 Tips to Reduce Belly Fat
- Personal Training vs. Group Fitness
- Tips for Setting Effective Fitness Goals
- Healthy Substitutions for Everyday Food
- The Importance of Proper Sleep
- Weight Loss After Pregnancy
- Strength Training & Weight Loss for Women